Minimising the Chance of a Termite Infestation
The home owner can discourage termites by remembering these facts:
- termites are attracted to wood, so remove potential termite food away from buildings - their food can include timber stacks, old stumps, building refuse, garden decoration such as sleepers and logs
- waste timber from construction activities is often left in place or stored under the house – remove all timber formwork
- timber can be treated to prevent termite attack, and some timbers are naturally resistant - use treated or naturally resistant timber when it is in contact with, or close to, soil
- termites are attracted to water, so fix leaking water pipes, drains, showers, sinks etc, plus capture water from air conditioning units
- termites prefer humid conditions, so keep air under the house dry by improving sub-floor ventilation, drainage and access
- termites cannot chew through properly laid concrete, so ensure concrete slab is properly designed, compacted, and cured
- termite colonies can sometimes be located - it is possible to eliminate colonies by killing the reproductives (the queen and the king).
What would you like to do?
more about how we can help you develop a lead generation program. Contact Peter on 02 9527 5858 or visit the contact page